- Use passive design methods to tap on free energy- sun, wind, etc.
- Minimize unnecessary heat gain or loss by weathering the building.
- Use high efficiency mechanical systems.
- Use high efficiency appliances which meet Energy Star requirements at the least.
- Use high efficiency infrastructure.
- Capture efficiencies in large projects, where buildings are tied in a single loop.
- Store thermal energy to meet peak demands.
- Use energy simulation to identify energy efficient applications.
- Monitor the building systems through automation or commissioning to verify that these are functioning as designed, and comply with owner's requirements.